Please CLICK above to share. Thanks! Seth
1. PARENTS, click the video above to watch (note: so you can plan your time, this entire page takes about 20 min to soak in)
2. Click to see the “Decision Video” for STUDENTS
Note: You can start UGYG at any time, but the closer to the start of the semester, the better. This way, you can help your child get systems in place proactively instead of reactively. Email me with questions.
“Ohhhh my, what you’ve put together is absolutely amazing! You went above and beyond with details enabling each family to read, follow and execute! It truly is easy to follow and you’ve stated things extremely clearly. You’ve been such a blessing to our hearts by guiding and teaching us how best to work with our son. He really likes you and has been keeping up with all the video assignments. Thank you for what you DO! Thank you for who YOU ARE!!” Michelle
U.G.Y.G. Online Program: UpGrAde Your GrAdes
From Struggling Student to Successful Habits
It begins with a desire for change.
Often, people blindly repeat the same old patterns, even though they want change. You don’t know what you don’t know, and this keeps people stuck.
The UGYG Coaching Program is a semester-long, intensive online program for struggling middle and high school students and their parents.
It’s designed to get results and help students change patterns so they can be more successful in school and have better skills to create a happier & more successful future.
What’s the problem? “The Dip” pattern.
“The Dip” pattern is a toxic and predictable pattern that some students repeat semester after semester. It looks like this:
- Strong Start: Your child starts the semester off strong. Things seem to be going well.
- The Dip: You’re shocked when grades take a nosedive as your child crashes into the mid-semester dip.
- Swim Upstream: You spend the rest of the semester stressed, trying to help your resistant child dig out of holes.
- Hail Mary: The final weeks of the semester are overwhelmingly stressful as your child deals with:
- Plenty of current work
- Mountains of makeup work
- Last-minute projects, term papers and final exams
- Get Help (maybe): For some reason, many families wait until it’s too late, then scramble for tutors and coaches in the eleventh hour.
- Amnesia: After the semester is over, families forget how bad it was and imagine that things will somehow fix themselves next semester. Therefore, proactive changes rarely happen.
- Rinse & repeat: Students fall farther behind year after year, closing more and more doors of future possibilities.
This pattern is not a game, it has a serious impact on quality of life.
Why does “The Dip” happen?
Three big reasons:
- Students who struggle with school are notoriously unrealistic about the amount of time and energy it takes to navigate schoolwork.
- Students don’t have the right tools & systems in place, and if they do, they don’t use the systems. So they struggle endlessly with output and execution.
- Parents simply don’t know how to break the pattern and don’t really understand “Executive Function.”
Much of the advice our students have been given is great advice for naturally organized people, but ineffective for non-traditional, outside-the-box, atypical learners who struggle with Executive Function.
These are kids who struggle with every aspect of execution: getting started, follow through, finishing, focusing, prioritizing, organizing, planning, managing time, etc..
Listen, this is not about motivation, it’s about Executive Function, and many adults have trouble understanding this. So adults unknowingly choose the wrong interventions and the pattern gets worse.
As a result, these struggling students often feel shamed, and therefore feel even less motivated and even more resistant. These problems impact the transition into adulthood.
What’s the solution?
During UGYG, I take you step-by-step through the entire process I use with my students, to implement the key systems and mindsets needed to turn it around.
No ambiguity or confusion, you will know exactly what your child needs to succeed and how to support them.
- I will teach you my specific methods to create the right foundation for a successful school year.
- These are skills your child will use and refine throughout their entire schooling.
- In fact, these are critical life skills.
This is a unique program because it’s for students and parents. It’s aim is to help struggling students who need guidance with the right tools so they can navigate more successfully and therefore create a better future.
I’ve spent the past 20+ years helping outside-the-box learners. Coaching is the best way I know of to help them change habits, and I designed this robust program to be a game changer for you.
What are the benefits for parents?
- Most important: Feel more confident in your child’s ability to build a happy and successful future.
- You are NOT the one telling them how to do school. Parents often tell me, “my child won’t take my advice, but they listen to you.” This is a huge relief to parents and they appreciate that I reaffirm what they’ve been trying to teach their kids.
- Watch your child become more independent and confident.
- Feel clear about what your child needs – you’ll learn the exact systems your child needs so you don’t have to wonder if you’re covering all the bases, so you know with clarity.
- Learn the difference between enabling your child in an unhealthy way that causes “learned helplessness” and how to help your child in a healthy way that teaches greater independence.
- Feel less stress and have more fun in your relationship with your child.
- Learn how to help your child manage overwhelming emotions and resistance.
- Feel like you are not alone, you will get to see other parents in the same position and learn from them.
- Feel some freedom from having to lecture or nag your child. If your child won’t listen to you, I’m the one telling them, so they can take more ownership in the process.
- You get to learn how I communicate with kids (parents often tell me how helpful this is in helping them learn better ways to communicate).
- In-depth PDF support sheets that detail key concepts and keep you on track.
- Your child will navigate the mid-semester “dip” better.
- Better grades.
- CRITICAL NOTE: UGYG is definitely not for people seeking a quick fix or a magic bullet. The reality is that these issues often take years to overcome. But this will help move the needle quite a bit and is designed to get your child on a much better trajectory.
Who is UGYG for?
- Middle and High School students who want results. They feel frustrated and want to improve the systems they use to navigate school, be more efficient, get more out of their efforts, have more free time and less stress.
- Homework – Students who struggle with homework. It’s often missing, incomplete, late, lost, forgotten or nameless.
- Grades – Students whose grades do not reflect their ability or potential. Grades often suffer from missing and incomplete homework, late work, low quality work, not preparing for tests adequately, doing projects or writing papers at the last minute.
- Study skills – Students who want to learn how to study more effectively.
- Organization – Students who are “organizationally challenged.” They lose things, can’t find their papers, have papers crammed in the bottom of their backpacks, in the wrong folders, messy lockers or desks. These are students who find old papers and say, “Oops, I thought I turned that in” or “Oh! I was looking for that!” Students whose binders are out of control, whose bedrooms are a catastrophe.
- Avoid consequences – Students who want to avoid having to go to summer school or repeat courses for recovery credit, who want to avoid stress caused by “the dip” pattern and who want to avoid arguments with parents about school.
- Planners – Students who don’t like planners, lose planners, forget planners, barely use planners, who don’t know how to use planners to effectively track responsibilities. They often fool themselves by saying, “Planners don’t work for me, I’ll remember it.”
- Motivation – Students who have trouble with self-starting, procrastination, avoid their work as long as possible, who say they have a big project, exam or paper the night before.
- Mindset – Attitudes about school can either be self-defeating or positive. These kids have self-defeating mindsets like this: I can’t, this is stupid, I don’t care, I’ll do it later, I hate school, the teacher hates me, I’ll never use this, my parents always annoy me. Having the right mindset is critical so students don’t just listen to their old self-defeating stories, so they have the skill of questioning their own narrative and choosing perspectives that help them persist through challenges. They create a mindset that says, I can do this. It may take some effort, but I’ve got this.
- Focus -Students who are easily distracted, who want to work smarter not harder, and who are willing to try new strategies so they can have better focus, concentration and attention.
- Efficiency – Students who spend way too much time on homework and want strategies for how to be efficient.
- Free time – Students who want to learn how to work more efficiently so they have more free time and less stress.
- Overwhelm – Students who are overwhelmed by managing the countless details of school and life, who have no idea where to start, who don’t have effective systems for managing the due dates, school work, etc..
Who UGYG is NOT for?
To be clear, this may not help you at all. I’ve had the benefit of working with complicated students for 20+ years and have learned to address the nuances that get results.
The average person who buys a program does not apply what they learn, and I prefer to help people who are willing and able to take action to get results. This is not a quick fix – if that’s what you’re hoping for, please do not enroll in this program.
- Magic bullets – This program isn’t for you if you’re looking for cheap, quick and easy. There are no magic bullets. Change takes time, effort and the right approach.
- Investment – Your results will vary depending on your investment of time, persistence, study and application.
- Effort – If you can’t or won’t put in the effort, this is not worth your money.
- Willingness – You’ll have to be willing to show up, pay attention, try what I teach, listen carefully, and put in time and effort with your child, even though they may be resistant (don’t worry, I help with the resistance throughout the entire course).
- Child’s willingness – If your child can’t or won’t give this a real shot, it’s a waste of your money. Show them the video I made here FOR STUDENTS and see how they react. You can make an informed decision together.
- A proven system that gets results when applied. This is exactly what I’ve successfully taught many kids over many years. And it’s practical.
- Hours of in-depth, masterclass video instruction, including my down-to-earth, quirky, personality that I use to relate to my students. These lessons are FUN, not boring or stuffy.
- 34 Student in-depth teachings, with clear action steps to set students up with systems for for success.
- 18 Parent teachings to guide you through the process.
- Challenges throughout the course to implement what you and your child are learning and strengthen your relationship with your child.
- In-depth printable PDF support documents and checklists to help implement my teachings.
- Templates for advocacy emails.
- Bonus “Touch up” webinar midway through the semester to help keep the momentum going and refine core concepts.
- Bonus Mindfulness for emotional regulation session.
What will students learn?
Main objective: By the time you are done with this course you will feel much better because you will have helped your child effectively set up all all school systems, refined them for effectiveness, know how to maintain them, learned the right mindsets, be off to a strong start and be building new habits. Here are some topics:
- Systems – Learn all of the systems students need to succeed (students are not often taught these in school, so if they don’t figure it out on their own, they flail around year after year, with missing and incomplete assignments, falling grades, decreased motivation, and insufficient time studying or working on major projects and papers). Learn how to use these systems effectively and how to tailor them to your child’s personality and learning style.
- Planners – Which planner to use and why. How to completely set up the planner properly for a successful school year. How and when to update a planner properly. How to backwards plan for tests, projects and papers so students don’t wait until the last minute.
- Organization of papers – How to manage the paperwork from multiple classes simply and effectively. How to keep track of the most important assignments and current work. How to maintain the backpack.
- SSS Sacred Study Space – How to optimize the SSS for focus. How to remove distractions from the SSS. The exact materials you should have in the SSS so you can get more done in less time.
- Nightly planning – Routine of exactly what to do each day after school, how to do it and why.
- Grade checking – How to proactively check online grades, when to do it and how to respond to missing assignments, incomplete assignments and low grades.
- Browser optimization – How to set up the browser for school success and how to minimize online distractions.
- The Motivation Lie – The right mindset concerning “unmotivated” students. How to deal with procrastination. Why the brain is resistant to help and what to do about it
- Resistance – Avoidance, resisting help, how to help your child
- Executive Function – How the brain executes tasks, what can your child do to make it better, what can you change that makes it worse
- Stress and the nervous system – Fight, flight and freeze, what’s going on in the body and how to work with it rather than create more stress.
- Routines – Learn about the routines you need to have in order to be a successful student.
- Procrastination busters – Tips and tricks for starting and persisting.
- Refine and maintain – Checking systems from last week, adding any new systems, learning to maintain systems and refine how effectively students use them for their particular learning style.
- What to do weekly – How to do my Sunday systems check to stay current and build habits.
- Asking for help – How students can let parents help you when they are resistant to it. How to let teachers help.
- Advocacy – How to advocate for oneself.
“I’m loving your lessons so far! For the first time in a while I feel hopeful that I can help my son. He actually started crying when I showed him the student video to see if he would be open to the course. It was a resounding YES!”
Here’s the course overview
START UGYG Lesson:
- This lesson gives an overview of the course
Module 1 – Prep Your Brain
- How it Works: This tells you specifically how to use the course
- Resistance: The CORE problem is that students resist. They resist starting schoolwork, using planners, staying organized, being forthcoming with parents, asking for help, etc.. HOW do we help deal with resistance. If this is not addressed, students will not be able to achieve major life goals and it will impact their future.
Module 2 – Foundations + Frankenstudy
- Your Brain – What is Executive Function in-depth, and why is it so crucial to understand?
- FOUNDATIONS – What are the exact foundations you need in order to succeed in school?
- How to FrankenStudy and create systems that are customized to YOUR needs and preferences?
- Paper Management – How to manage all the papers from school effectively. How to NOT just have the system everyone recommends, but use one that will actually work? (2 Videos)
- The Dip – What to do in the middle of the semester when you hit that dip and things start to fall apart? Why does this pattern happen? Why do you need to understand this?
- Planner Setup How to set up a planner for YOUR brain, a planner that you can and will actually use? (7 Videos) How to use a planner when you resist them?
- SSS The Sacred Study Space – How to set up a space for studying where you can get stuff done? (2 videos) Why is this so important?
- Foundations assessment – Now we look carefully at the foundation you created and make sure it has everything you need. Did you create a foundation with holes or will it hold up under pressure?
- Review – Zoom Out – let’s take a look at what we’ve done so far and really make sure all the pieces are in place before moving on.
Module 3 – Implementing Your New Systems
- About Implementation – Now that you’ve got a foundation, how in the world will you implement the systems? How will you learn to use the tools you have?
- Routine – Daily Planning (2 Videos) Successful students do this naturally, but some students don’t know how to plan daily and it seems like a waste of time. So how can you do it so it helps you have MORE free time and be MORE successful?
- Monday Checkin (2 Videos) These checkin videos are quick lessons that you should watch daily for at least 2 weeks when you get home from school. They will help you know EXACTLY what to do to be successful.
- Tuesday Checkin
- Wednesday Checkin
- Thursday Checkin
- Friday Checkin/Reflect/Celebrate – this one has some extra important lesson ideas for you. You’ve finished a week, you’ve got to take time to appreciate your efforts and celebrate!
- Sunday Night Overhaul (2 Videos) One of the most important things you can ever do is to do the SNO to MAINTAIN your new systems. If you don’t learn to maintain, the systems won’t do you any good. This shows you EXACTLY what to do and makes it easy. NOTE: Do this every week for the rest of the semester
- Goal Setting – How exactly should you set goals for the semester? What works? This will help.
- The 1% Rule – Doing school is overwhelming and there is a lot of resistance and stress that prevents you from feeling motivated. How do you get over procrastination? How do you self-start without being bugged by parents all the time?
Module 4 – Maintenance – Sharpening the Sword
- Accepting Help – Some students won’t accept help from parents and resist asking for help from teachers. But we need help. So HOW do you accept it? How do you even ask for it when you want to resist?
Module 5 – The Dip and How to Get Out of a Nose Dive
- The Dip & 19 Ideas to help you through it – ALL of my students hit the DIP. Grades fall, motivation falls, it’s ugly. But HOW to you make the DIP smaller? THAT’s the question! Here’s the answer.
- Mid-Semester Inspiration. Watch this halfway through the semester when you don’t feel like doing anything!
- Putting out FIRES (3 Videos) – when things heat up, what to do! There are some common fires that need to be taken care of. This will make it crystal clear so you can know what to expect and how to react.
- The Q: (or the Queue) A way to make things easier when you’re trying to manage a bunch of schoolwork. This is a special tip for how to add an effective new folder.
Module 6 – Finishing Strong + Celebrating Growth
- PEPR Strategies (5 Videos) Students MUST learn to deal with teh end of semester Papers, Exams, Projects and Reading assignments. Unfortunately, they
- The FINAL Stretch – HOW to dig deep when you want to give up at the final stretch of the semester. How to get through it EFFECTIVELY!
- Tying up Loose Ends – At the end of the school year, you want to have closure and make SURE there is no unfinished business. Here’s EXACTLY what to track for success and to make sure you don’t forgot anything that will drag your grades into the ground.
- Let Go of the Semester – HOW to feel like you’re really done with the semester or year so you can close the chapter and move on to the next chapter right.
- Inspiration for that LAST Minute – A great old quote that will help motivate you for the final push! This will help you zoom out to get perspective again.
- Prepare for the NEXT Semester or school year – You’ve got to think about this even though it may be the last thing you want to think about at the end of a semester! But this will actually make it easier.
- My Final Thoughts! – Relax and hear my positive thoughts to wrap things up!
Module 7 – PARENT Lessons
- Parents, HOW to Help your Student
- How to Help with CLEAN SLATING
- How to Have Difficult Conversations
- 3:1 Rule
- What do YOU think?
- Printable PDF Index
- Where Should You Be?
- Parents, What to Ask?
- Proactive Advocacy Email
- Emotional Regulation
- Webinar Replays
- Wait Time
- The Parent Dip
- Parents, How to do the FINAL STRETCH
- Trust Your Kid?
- How to Celebrate the End?
- Parents, My Final Thoughts
How does it work?
- When you sign up, you’ll receive an email from me with the links you need to begin. No tech skills needed.
- Once you log in you do the lessons at your own pace, but with a recommended schedule. Just log in, click the lesson, and you’ll see the simple instructions, the current video lesson and the printable pdf’s.
- I literally walk you and/or your child through the lessons step by step. You’ll get new updates at different intervals throughout the semester to keep you on track. I’ve been doing this for a long time, so I’ve designed the entire semester to flow as smoothly as possible and to optimize for success.
- There are 34 robust lessons designed especially for students – where I am speaking directly to them. However, parents should watch ALL student videos so they can understand my teachings. If you’re not willing to do this, it is not worth your money.
- There are also an additional 18 in-depth lessons specifically for Parents. I teach you how to help your child deal with their resistance, emotional regulation, homework problems and arguments, etc..
If you have questions about the lessons, you’ll be able to email me for help.
If you choose a webinar option (Group or Premium package), I use “Zoom” for live coaching & teaching (don’t worry, it’s easy).
- How much time is needed? A lot, and it will save a TON of time, energy and frustration over the rest of the semester. Throughout the semester, I will send you recommendations for which lessons to do to keep you on track. Most student videos are 5-10 minutes long and require some action related to the topic I am teaching. You can go at your own pace and do several in a day or break it up over multiple days. Again, this is not a quick fix – that doesn’t work. But it is reasonable, so don’t worry! Plan on spending several hours the first month as we get the systems in place. Then it will require less time each month.
- What if we’re not on a traditional semester schedule? I planned this for typical semesters in the USA, but I have families in different countries, families on hexters or quarters, homeschool families and other non-traditional schedules. The content is the same no matter what schedule you are on and you go at the pace that works for you. I will send emails to you with “suggested” times that you can easily adapt to your situation.
- What if my child isn’t ready? Honestly, this isn’t for you right now. You may benefit from an in-person coach, tutor, therapist or other support professionals to address underlying challenges.
- What if I want to do it with more than one of my children? No problem. You pay per family, so you can use it with multiple children. Multiple family members use the same login info.
- Will I be able to download lessons? Yes, you can download from Vimeo and keep them as long as you want.
- Will we have access after the semester ends? As long as I keep the course online, you’ll have access. I have absolutely no intention of taking it down ever. You certainly will have access through the fall 2019 school year and you “should” go through the course each semester until your child is a super-solid student!
- What if I’m not technologically savvy? Don’t worry, I’ll make it clear, step by step.
- Is it worth it? Absolutely, especially if you view education as an investment in your child’s future. If this program helps you and your child transform their educational experience so they can be moving forward rather than backsliding, it’s a no-brainer. I’ve been helping complicated kids turn it around for a long time, and I know what works and what doesn’t. Good coaching is $150-$200/hour, and this is incredibly deep, focused, relevant, and includes a semester of coaching lessons. I designed this to be a game changer. Also consider comparing it to other things you spent money on – tutoring, neuropsych evals, therapists, programs, etc.. And there’s a guarantee, so there’s no risk.
- What if I have other questions? Contact me here.
How do we get started and how much is tuition?
How do we start? If you 1) watched the video for parents above, 2) you and your child watched the video for students, 3) you read through this page carefully, and 4) you want to start, just click a program below to enroll.
How do we pay? Credit card through the link below (I also accept check or Venmo, contact me if wanted).
Guarantee – There’s no risk. If this isn’t for you, email me within 30 days and I’ll refund you 100%. No catch. I’ll ask for feedback but will refund you either way. My hope is that you’ll apply what I teach and that your child will be on a much better path.
Choose from 3 Programs
(1) Independent Study : $497 (Click to Enroll)
- For Middle and High school students
- Robust, full semester online video course with 34 great lessons
- Downloadable support PDFs for the course
- 18 Lessons just for parents, to help you help your child
- 30-Day money back guarantee
- Bonus “Touch up” live webinar midway through the semester to help keep the momentum going and refine core concepts.
- Bonus Mindfulness for emotional regulation, live session.
SOLD OUT (2)
Group Study: $597
Note: There will be NEW enrollment openings announced on my weekly updates, in mid December for the spring 2019 program.
- Everything from the Independent Study above AND…
- Plus: Exclusive parent Facebook group for support
- Plus: 4 Monthly live coaching calls for parents in a group online (these will be recorded incase you can’t make it)
- Plus: 4 Monthly live coaching “office hours” for students in a group online (these will be recorded incase you can’t make it)
SOLD OUT (3) Premium Study
Note: There will be NEW enrollment openings announced on my weekly updates in mid December for the spring 2019 program.
- Everything from the Independent Study, Group Study AND…
- Plus: 4 live, 1:1, 30-minute coaching sessions just for your child ($300 value).
- Plus: 2 live, 1:1, 30-minute strategy sessions just for you, the parents ($150 value)
More questions? Email me directly.
Scholarship? I have 3 partial scholarships for families who legitimately need financial help. Email me if interested.
Payment plan? I offer a 2 payment plan if needed.
Here’s a Demo of the UGYG Course
Nothing fancy, just REAL people. Click to watch.
If you like this, please CLICK BELOW to share. Thanks from Seth 🙂