Hello and welcome to Spring Semester 2019 in Boulder with Seth!
Below are several important notes
- Bookmark this page – It has information you’ll need for Spring 2019. Also, from the bottom of ANY page on my website, you can access this page from the link called “Current Boulder Clients.“
- Location – 3131 Indian Rd, Boulder, CO 80301 (map). Near 61st and Valmont. Please enter on the East side of the building.
- First day of coaching – Please come on Tuesday, Jan 8, Weds Jan 9 and/or Thurs Jan 10, any time between 3:30 and 7:00 pm. Bring EVERYTHING, even if it’s a mess! Backpack, papers, books, folders, planner, laptop, etc..
- Orientation – Sunday, January 13, 6-9pm for all students and parents.
- Scheduling with me – Keep in mind that we will have to schedule your events for the spring. We will need to plan any home visits, school meetings you need me for, meetings with any other professionals I can support you with and 1:1 sessions with parents or your child.
- BONUS – As a bonus, all families who do live coaching with me also get free access to UGYG, my in-depth online course. This is filled with helpful video lessons for students, in-depth lessons for parents, and printable PDFs to support your child.
- TO DO – Please fill out THIS online form asap to help me help you this semester.
- Calendar: See below
- Check – Preferred. Please make it out to ShineOn Educational Solutions and make payment by January 31.
- Cash – No problem if you want to pay cash.
- Venmo – If you want to use Venmo, my username is Brian Seth Perler. I do not have paypal.
- Credit – I take credit cards but try to avoid them. if you want to use one, let me know and I’ll send you an invoice from Freshbooks to pay online.
If you want a receipt, let me know and I will email you an invoice/receipt from Freshbooks, the billing software I use. Or let me know if you want me to print one for you.
I will email you this January with all relevant information.
Calendar & Program Notes
- Come prepared: Always bring all school materials, planners, laptops, chargers, etc. Don’t come in saying “I forgot it.” Just bring everything to each session. Better to be prepared and not need it than to be unprepared and need something.
- SNO, Sunday Night Overhauls, 6-9pm:
- Students are required to be at the office every Sunday night by 6:00 pm at the latest. This is the most important night of the week.
- 5:45pm: Soft start, check in, get settled, eat, laugh, connect. (Feel free to bring food. There is a microwave and refrigerator. I often have extra food on hand for students and I sometimes order out for students.)
- 6:00 pm – 6:30 pm: Lesson: Lesson on a key, student success coaching topic.
- 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm: Maintenance: During this time I help students “close out” the prior week and prep for the upcoming week. This includes coaching around all critical habits, such as effectively updating planners, reorganizing school materials precisely, checking the portal thoroughly, dealing with the inbox, as well as focus time for studying and homework. I coach each student throughout the night to thoroughly help with this process.
- Students may leave early if they finish early.
- When anyone has a big paper or exam, I stay late for them as needed.
- OGN, Open Gym Nights, 3:30-7pm:
- Open Gym Nights are on most Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm (see schedule below).
- Students must attend at least one OGN per week, preferably 2-3. Showing up is most of the battle.
- This is an open time for students to come in for coaching, tutoring, homework and studying.
- Students may arrive at any time within the time window.
- I am there early and stay late when families need me, just ask.
- Parent Workshops: These are for all parents whenever possible. Be sure to get them in your calendar (see schedule below). NOTE: It’s ok if you have to miss a workshop, but try to attend because they will be very helpful.
- 1:1 Sessions: Throughout the semester I do different types of 1:1 sessions. Sometimes I do 1:1 sessions with your child at the office or at home to help with any related issues. Sometimes I do 1:1 strategy sessions with any parents who want it. The point is to offer you whatever support you need, how you need it and when you need it.
- School meetings: Whenever possible I attend school meetings with you or guide you with navigating them.
Spring 2019 Calendar
J A N U A R Y
OGN Tuesday, January 8, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm ALSO: We’ll do a system assessment this week. OGN Wednesday, January 9, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm OGN Thursday, January 10, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm ORIENTATION – SNO Sunday, January 13, 6pm-9pm. Required for students AND parents. Arrive on time. Topics: What is executive function and why does it matter? Q&A about the spring program. OGN Tuesday, January 15, 3:30 pm – 4:50 pm (Note: I leave early tonight to speak) OGN Wednesday, January 16, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm OGN Thursday, January 17, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm SNO Sunday, January 20, 6pm-9pm, Required. Arrive on time. Topic: What are all ofthe systemsstudents need to learn in order to succeed? How do we tailor them to the individual? OGNTuesday January 22, 3:30-7:00 pm OGN Wednesday, January 23, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm OGN Thursday, January 24, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm SNO Sunday, January 27, 6pm-9pm. Required. Topic: How to deal with the resistance. OGN Tuesday, January 29, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm OGN Wednesday, January 30, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm OGN Thursday, January 31, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
F E B R U A R Y
SNO Sunday, February 3, 6pm-9pm Tuesday, February 5, 3:30pm-7pm Wednesday, February 6, 3:30pm-7pm Thursday, February 7, 3:30pm-7pm SNO Sunday, February 10, 6pm-9pm Tuesday, February 12, 3:30pm-7pm Wednesday, February 13, 3:30pm-7pm SNO Sunday, February 24, 6pm-9pm Tuesday, February 19, 3:30pm-7pm Wednesday, February 20, 3:30pm-7pm Thursday, February 21, 3:30pm-7pm SNO Sunday, February 24, 6pm-9pm Tuesday, February 26, 3:30pm-7pm Wednesday, February 27, 3:30pm-7pm Thursday, February 28, 3:30pm-7pm
M A R C H
PARENT WORKSHOP Sat Mach 2, 12:30pm-3:00 pm (Topic: What students “should” be doing at home. How much to push your child? How to push them? Resistance) SNO Sunday, March 3, 6pm-9pm Tuesday, March 5, 4pm-7pm Wednesday, March 6, 4pm-7pm Thursday, March 7, 4pm-7pm SNO Sunday, March 10, 6pm-9pm Daylight savings Tuesday, March 12, 4pm-7pm Wednesday, March 13, 4pm-7pm Thursday, March 14, 4pm-7pm PARENT WORKSHOP Sunday, March 17, 3:30-5:30 pm St Patty’s SNO Sunday, March 17, 6pm-9pm. Tuesday, March 19, 4pm-7pm Wednesday, March 20, 4pm-7pm Thursday, March 21, 4pm-7pm NO SNO Sunday, March 24, SPRING BREAK SPRING BREAK WEEK – March 23-30 SNO Sunday, March 31, 6pm-9pm
A P R I L
Tuesday, April 2, 4pm-7pm Wednesday, April 3, 4pm-7pm Thursday, April 4, 4pm-7pm PARENT WORKSHOP Sunday, April 7, 3:30-5:30 pm SNO Sunday, April 7, 6pm-9pm. Tuesday, April 9, 4pm-7pm Wednesday, April 10, 4pm-7pm SNO Sunday, April 14, 6pm-9pm. Tuesday, April 16, 4pm-7pm Wednesday, April 17, 4pm-7pm Thursday, April 18, 4pm-7pm SNO Sunday, April 21, 6pm-9pm.
- Tuesday, April 23, 4pm-7pm
- Wednesday, April 24, 4pm-7pm
- Thursday, April 25, 4pm-7pm
- SNO Sunday, April 28, 3pm-9pm. STUDENT WORK DAY
- Tuesday, April 30, 4pm-7pm
M A Y
- Wednesday, May 1, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 2, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- PARENT WORKSHOP Saturday, May 4, 3:00-5:00 pm Topic: How to help your child end the year right: dealing with final exams, papers and projects.
- SNO Sunday, May 5, 6pm-9pm.
- Tuesday, May 7, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 8, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 9, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- SNO Sunday, May 12, 6pm-9pm.
- Tuesday, May 14, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 15, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 16, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- SNO Sunday, May 19, 6pm-9pm.
- Tuesday, May 21, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, May 22, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 23, 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm
S U M M E R B R E A K
QUICK NOTES FROM ORIENTATION:
- Parking – NOT on North if the business looks open.
- Drop off – East side if you pull off a bit or North side.
- Entrance – East or North doors.
- Notes on the Valmont area –
- Drive slowly, cautiously, a small community (dogs, kids, etc.)
- Lake we can go to for work in good weather
- Barn -do not go near the historic landmark
- Donations – Lamps, chairs, rugs, pillows for sofas, bean bags, school supplies, etc.
- Use me for any school needs
- PDFs – Turn in Assessment this month. I will get you the SNO and HW Routine handouts this month.
- Parents how to help – persistence, expect resistance and work with it proactively
- Relationship is most important
- Scheduling – Home visits, School visits, 1:1 with me any time
- Online course – you’ll free have access, I’ll get you set up this month
- Emails – I’ll email you periodically with updates
- Calendar – is tentative, I’ll update you with changes.