Please **CLICK** above to share. Thanks! Seth
My brother is thinking about sending his kiddo to a new school next year. Here are the things I find myself repeatedly saying to families who are considering changing schools and asking my 7 thoughts:
- Refocus on the right things: big picture, the purpose of education, what you want your child to get from education
- Doesn’t matter public, private, Montessori, homeschool, unschool, what matters is if the school effectively meeting this purpose.
- What do you want your child’s future to be like?
- They all look good on paper/internet
- Be skeptical – what are the metrics used to evaluate a school? Best school on paper may not be right. Worst school may be great. My favorite metrics = engagement, secure attachment, future success, happiness and health.
- Observe vibe of kids/parents/staff after school
- How much structure they need is grey
- Trust your gut
- School culture/values aligned?
- Relationship with teachers/school is everything
- Are they experiencing secure attachment?
- Engagement, strengths, interests, passions, matters, purpose, meaningful experiences?
- Do they WANT to go to school?
Please **CLICK** below to share. Thanks! Seth
Leave a Reply