If you liked this, please *CLICK* above to share
I don’t usually address principals directly in my blog, but today I am.
There is a MASSIVE problem for parents students, that causes consistent frustration and confusion, and as a leader, you can do something about it.
The problem: Lack of clarity regarding expectations: accessing the right online information is overwhelming, frustrating and confusing for families.
- Multiple sites to navigate
- Unclear about expectations with homework, reading assignments, written assignments, projects
- Not sure where to log in
- Don’t know HOW to log in
- Don’t know WHEN to log in
- When logged in don’t know where to look
- Logistical nightmare, takes a lot of time and energy that should be going to focused work on expectations
- Don’t check the right site at the right time, so due dates/times unknown
- Students who aren’t good with planners don’t remember the details
- Teachers passing out multiple copies of same things
- 0s, missings, incompletes, late work
- Lower grades
- Less learning
- Parents are baffled
- Kids are confused and overwhelmed
What you can do
Since you lead, opportunity to help a lot of people.
- Create a page on the school site and or make a document available
- List every website families might need to check
- List where/how to get login info
- List every teacher
- List sites students are responsible for, for each teacher with URL
- List what they should DO at those sites
- List how often they should check it, specifically when to check
- List how often the teacher updates THEIR grades, this is a huge problem too
- Teach teachers to be crystal clear online, sounds like more work but what will be saved in confusion will make up for it
- Have copies of notes, hw, rubrics, etc ONLINE so THEY can view/download/print
- Note to parents at top of the site: if you are not crystal clear on expectations, please email me here so we can figure out how to clarify systems, that way YOU will know where the problems are and you can support teachers to clarify.
Thank you for leading.
ps- If you liked this, please *CLICK* below to share