Here’s the quick 12 minute video…
Seth’s Student Success Toolkit mini-course (SSST)
Summary (if you prefer to read it)
Having a sacred place to get down to the business of studying and homework is imperative. You don’t have to use it every time you study, but there has to be a place to do so when you need it.
How long it takes
A half day for 1 time setup. 5 minutes once a week to tidy up.
I help all of my students to create an SSS, but it’s more important the older they get. Definitely necessary for high school through grad school.
About the students
My students tend to have a few things in common that don’t work for them:
- They often study in places that are not conducive to focusing (in bed, on the couch, etc.)
- They don’t usually have a consistent place, so there is no routine
- They often have multiple distractions (texting, tabs open, distracting music, tv, etc.)
How to create the Sacred Study Space (SSS)
- Plan. Discuss what is the optimal study space. Plan for the senses. In other words, consider what helps focus or what is distracting visually, auditorally, etc. Carefully consider noise, lighting, temperature, or anything else that matters to the student.
- Choose where the BEST place would be.
- Clean slate. Get everything off the study area. Clean off all trash, paper, books, paper clips, everything. Start with a clean slate.
- Begin to set it up intentionally. Make sure supplies are within reach, everything is comfortable, etc.. Take your time.
- Keep a list. As you think of things to buy that would make it better, write it down. Consider calculators, white board, cork board, standing desk, fit ball for chair, lighting, speakers, inspirational quotes to post, photos, charms, earplugs, chargers, reference books, etc..
- Take a break and go get supplies from the list.
- Finish the area.
- Make sure to have a place for everything you need; supplies, recycling, trash. etc..
- Set ground rules with others in the house so they know how to respect your study needs.
Tidy up once a week or so.
Help your child do the overhaul but don’t do it for them or they won’t gain the skill.
- Plan a half day dedicated to creating the ultimate SSS.
- Clean the slate completely and build your SSS carefully.
- Start using it!