Note: Please read thoroughly before contacting me for a Meet & Greet.
Summary: A robust, semester-long, comprehensive package designed to give Boulder area Middle and High school struggling students and their parents the solid foundation for school success. This is an intensive program with a ton of support for students who need to completely overhaul their systems and approaches to school.
Who is it for? Boulder area middle school or high school students who want to be more successful through building the right foundation in the skills, habits and mindsets needed for success.
Where? Boulder area. Office is near 63rd and Valmont, click for map. Other relevant locations include home visits, school meetings, coffee shops, zoom check-ins, etc..
Duration: One semester, Spring 2019.
What you’ll learn: Students learn exactly how to tailor all of the systems they need for success. This includes:
- How to work with the resistance that holds your child back.
- Planning effectively so they can manage the school workload.
- Time management and prioritizing.
- Organizing and managing schoolwork effectively.
- Study skills – How to study, write papers, complete homework realistically.
- Being honest with oneself about challenge areas and the consequences of inaction.
- Advocating for oneself proactively with teachers.
- Being forthcoming and honest with parents.
- Overcoming procrastination.
- Dealing with challenging social circumstances.
- Regulating emotional overwhelm.
- Learning the right mindsets, unlearning excuses.
- Creating habits and routines for school success.
- Parents learn how to support their child more effectively.
How it works and what’s included? This program is designed to be comprehensive. Whatever it takes.
- 1:1 coaching – At my office, your home or convenient meeting places for local clients, via Skype/Zoom for students outside of the area. 1:1 time is critical in the coaching process so we can address the unique needs of an individual. I do 1:1 time with each student the nights they come to the office and schedule 1:1 deep dive sessions throughout the semester.
- Systems – Learn the systems and strategies that all students need to succeed in school.
- 1:1 Parent strategy sessions – How to support your unique child.
- Parent Workshops – All parents should attend. There’s no how-to manual to be a parent. I give you group coaching on relevant topics to help you on your journey. See calendar below.
- SNO – I teach students how to do Sunday Night Overhauls, which is critical for maintaining systems. Often students aren’t in the habit of maintaining their systems, so things continue to fall apart. Learning to do regular overhauls is key. See calendar below.
- Regular accountability check-ins – Via text, phone, Skype or live, depending on the student.
- Tutoring – I tutor math, writing, science and history. I sometimes have other tutors on-hand at the office for extra support.
- Home Visits – This is where we meet to optimize a Sacred Study Space and work on routines, as well as tackle any other projects that your child wants to work on. I do 2-3 per semester depending on what’s helpful.
- Advocacy/school visits – I support you by consulting on IEP, 504, RTI or other meetings. We strategize before the meetings and go in with a well thought out agenda. I go with you to the meetings whenever possible. I can also attend virtually. I also connect with college advisors or anyone else needed.
- Advocacy/emails – I support you by writing advocacy emails to the school for you and helping you craft effective correspondence.
- Full Access to Me – Phone, text, Skype, email. I’m available to you 24/7. Ok, that’s a bit hyperbolic; I do have a life. But reach out any time and I’ll be with you soon.
- Emergency calls – Help when you need it the most. I’m available to you via phone, email, text, Skype.
How do I get started and how much is it?
- Be sure you read this page thoroughly so you understand exactly how the program works.
- Contact me here for the Enrollment Application and to set up a free 30-minute Meet & Greet in-person or online. No obligation whatsoever. No pressure. It’s a relaxed opportunity for us to get to know each other and see if it’s the right fit.
- One upfront payment of $3900/semester (save $300), or three payments of $1400, due by the last day of Jan, Feb and Mar.
- Guarantee: If we get started, and if for any reason it’s not helping, I’ll refund the remainder.
- SNO, Sunday Night Overhauls:
- Students are required to be at the office every Sunday night by 6:00 pm at the latest.
- 5:45 pm: Soft start, check in, get settled, eat, laugh, connect.
- 6:00 pm – 6:30 pm: Lesson on a key student success coaching topic.
- 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm: I help students close out the prior week and prep for the upcoming week. This includes coaching around all critical habits, such as effectively updating planners, reorganizing school materials precisely, checking the portal thoroughly, dealing with the inbox, as well as focus time for studying and homework. I coach each student throughout the night to thoroughly help with this process.
- Students may bring food and may leave early if they finish early.
- When anyone has a big paper or exam, I stay late for them as needed.
- OGN, Open Gym Nights:
- Open Gym Nights are on most Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 pm – 7:00 pm (see schedule below).
- Students must attend at least one OGN per week, preferably 2-3 nights.
- This is an open time for students to come in for coaching, tutoring, homework and studying.
- Students may arrive at any time within the time window.
- I am there early and stay late when families need me.
- Parent Workshops: These are for all parents. Be sure to get them in your calendar.
- Come prepared: Always bring all school materials, planners, laptops, chargers, etc. Don’t come in saying “I forgot it.” Just bring everything to each session. Better to be prepared and not need it than to be unprepared and need something.
“Seth Perler is OUTSTANDING in every way! He’s smart, insightful, solution-oriented, organized, resourceful, intuitive, compassionate, creative, energetic, enthusiastic, deeply committed to his work and very wise. Seth has a deep understanding of children and families and knows how to motivate his clients to readily move forward in their lives in very significant ways. He has the wonderful ability to be able to be empathic and reassuring while simultaneously challenging his clients in the most positive of ways to tackle previously daunting obstacles. Seth is kind and generous and able to set the constructive, motivating limits and expectations that foster tremendous growth. I highly recommend Seth, without reservation. He’s the best of the best!!” – Karen, mom of CU college student and psychologist in New Jersey
Before working with Seth I was studying for most of the day, every day, with little results to reflect my effort. As my second semester at CU was ending I felt I wasn’t cut out for school and was debating dropping out of college. Fortunately, my mother convinced me to work with Seth and give school 1 more shot. I’m glad. The difference is undeniable and the study skills, priceless. From time management to study space dedication/set up, as well as study techniques that commit the information to memory over time rather than cramming 3 days before an exam. My stress decreased drastically, I was able to enjoy life and do well in school, my GPA improved from a 2.4 to a 3.6 the first semester. Now I enjoy the school experience!” (Since then, Nick has found his passion and is actually a TA for one of his professors.)
-Nick B., CU Student
Sarah absolutely aced this day! I am sitting back in wonderment! She attributes her success to you! Normally, she’d be crying, frustrated, overwhelmed, and angry. Instead, she was quite calm! She took that in stride, I was so impressed with her! I said, “How does it feel?” She said, “Norma!!” Go Sara!
So much mastery…time management, dealing with directions, trying new things, getting to her job in a timely manner!
I said, “Wow! So much executive skill went into making this day work! What do you think enabled you to be so successful and on top of things?!” She said, “Seth!”
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m so thrilled for her (and for me) to see her starting to take charge and function more age appropriately in her life. She’s proud of herself, and rightfully so! Thank you so much for all your help to date! -Karin A., a mom from Brookside, NJ
A bit over two years ago my daughter was entering her third year at the University of Colorado. She is very bright, creative and thoughtful but was struggling with meeting the academic requirements needed to finish school. She had failed several classes and been on and off probation a couple of times. Therapy had helped somewhat but the results were short-lived. She wanted to do better but lacked the organizational skills and focus necessary to fulfill the demands of school.
As parents, we struggled with what direction would be most beneficial for her. I am a clinical psychologist but knew the advantages of good hands-on coaching. I called several therapists in the Boulder area to see if they did coaching. Most did not, but one therapist, Heidi Wilson recommended a coach. That was Seth.I happened to be in Boulder, so I was at the initial meeting that Seth had with my daughter. In her words, “he got me right away.”
He spoke to us in a calm and clear way about his plans to help her succeed. She was excited about tackling school again for the first time in years. Together they came up with strategies that helped her to focus and take pride, not only in her academics but in her surroundings. Seth is on top of what needs to be done and the most efficient ways to tackle and complete tasks. His techniques and follow up procedures are outstanding.
Over the course of the last two years, she hit some stumbles. The most impressive attribute of Seth is his steadfast dedication. He has never given up on our daughter, even when she has become overwhelmed and wanted to give up. He has taught her to believe in herself. She is now graduating and will walk in the December ceremony. Seth will be with us at the graduation and share the pride that we all feel. She could not have done it without him.
-Bonnie, parent of a CU student from LA – Update: Bonnie’s daughter has since graduated, is working a job she loves and is looking at grad schools!
I got my diploma from Duke University; then I got my education from Seth Perler.
All my life I’ve have been strongly drawn to learning new things in general – eager, and inquisitive.
All my life I’ve ended up banging my head against the wall & finishing with little new understanding, or not finishing at all.
Then one day I got a hold of Seth’s business card. The back of the card offered the VERY thing I’ve always known I needed to be able to learn and always knew was possible, but was so out of the box, it didn’t exist yet, and I could not find it. I wished soooo much I’d found him while I was still in school – I didn’t know then they what he offers helps people in everyday life as much as it does students in an educational facility.
Then about four months later, frustrated trying to read material for a new job, I called him on the phone & in 5 minutes he told me 3 things that instantly made my task lighter. I made an appointment to check it out further. The 1st one is free!
The 1st time I met with him I learned some major concepts about how I think, and how to work with how I think. The benefits of that lesson are still growing even now, 1 year later. It enabled me to read effectively, approach new information successfully, present my thoughts to different thinkers clearly, and even help me and my fiancé understand how to approach each other in a way that vastly improved out communication, and inevitably, our entire relationship.
He explained the common origin of many failings in my life to be a factor only of my approach, to which, thanks to Seth, I am no longer limited. I have put this into practice and am still amazed every time!!
I continue to naturally use the info from Seth as a filter as I experience the world and my understanding of it, and constantly grow in the depth of this ability because of it.
It’s so interesting and widely applicable that I sometimes bring his stuff up while socializing, and everyone around so far has wanted me “to do them” (meaning apply his stuff to each individual).
It is fascinating!!! De-mystifying!! And best of all EMPOWERING!!!
Don’t waste another minute, call him!!!!